Saturday, November 29, 2008

Published by Zoho Writer

Barbaro by Tom Philbin and Pamela K. Brodowsky

New York: Collins. 2007

I just finished reading a book entitled Barbaro: A Nation's Love Story. It is a biography of the 2006 Kentucky Derby winner, although it was shelved in the animal section. I am a racing fan only because I feel that horses are some of the most beautiful and majestic animals on the face of the earth. How I came to love them so much might have something to do with the fact that I grew up in the shade of Arlington International Racecourse. I watched a lot of races as I was growing up. I guess I couldn't help but to take notice of the media surrounding this new three-year-old who had won all of his five starts right up to the Derby.

However, Barbaro seemed to command everyone's attention. He was lightning fast, extremely good natured, and very intelligent. Just the kind of horse you fall in love with, and that's just what America did. Although not the favorite, he won the Derby by 6 1/2 lengths and further endeared himself to a nation of fans. Many people began to feel that Barbaro could become the first Triple Crown winner in 28 years.

But disaster struck at the Preakness three weeks later when Barbaro badly fractured his right hind leg. It took more than 20 screws and a metal plate to repair the damage. Most horses with such an injury are euthanized right on the track. Owners Roy and Gretchen Jackson could have put him down immediately and collected $25 million in insurance money. Instead they decided to give Barbaro a fighting chance and set themselves up for a rollercoaster ride filled with hope, joy, disappointment, and finally grief. But through it all Barbaro was an excellent patient, keeping America waiting for news of his status each day. His website gathered over 2 million hits, all wishing for his recovery.

The book shows just how people can come together and care for a fellow creature, how veterinary personnel can work with singlemindedness for the good of a great athlete, and how that athlete can become a symbol of courage and determination.


2 comments:

Biblioteca Chica said...

Hi J-

I hope you're feeling better. I just had to comment since I am a fan of horse racing too, mostly for the same reasons you sighted. On my personal blog, I have written 2 quickie articles you might like -- one about my thoughts after the tragedy of Eight Belles at the Derby this year called "Riders Up!" and another about Ruffian called "King Filly." I'd be curious to see what you think. I love writing about horses (still a horse crazy little girls in some ways, I guess!!!). Just cut and paste the two URLS to read (if you want).

http://mustardseedhouse.blogspot.com/2008/05/riders-up.html

http://mustardseedhouse.blogspot.com/2008/06/king-filly.html

See you on the internet!! CZ

Biblioteca Chica said...

"cited" not "sighted" -- what a dork I am -- long hours of final projects!!!!